National Puppy Day is on March 23 and it is a special day to celebrate the magic and unconditional love that puppies bring to our lives. But more importantly, it's a day to help save homeless puppies across the globe and raise awareness about the horrors of puppy mills and backyard breeding practices.
National Puppy Day was founded in 2006 by US Celebrity Pet Expert and Author, Colleen Paige - who is also the founder of National Dog Day. After 10 years, National Puppy Day is increasingly celebrated around the world and is usually trending on Twitter worldwide!
40 WAYS TO CELEBRATE WITH YOUR PUPPY!
1. Adopt a puppy from your local shelter or rescue organisation.
2. Are you really prepared for puppy parenting? Do your research and select the right dog breed to suit your lifestyle and budget! Understand you are committing for a lifetime...
3. Donate food, toys, accessories or money to your local shelter.
|Our own Porthos and Aramis - adopted from Doggie Rescue|
5. Host a community event to raise money for your local animal shelter.
6. Why not assist an elderly neighbour by offering to walk their puppy?
7. Would your puppy make a great therapy dog? Join a group of volunteers so that you can take your puppy to an elderly community and spread some love.
8. Have a puppy party and invite all your friends and their puppies!
9. Have a portrait painted of your puppy or hire a pet photographer to capture those precious first months. They grow up way too fast!
10. Buy your puppy a new, fun age-appropriate toy.
|Conner (our Belgian Tervueren) at 2 months old|
12. Brush your puppy to eliminate excess fur and enjoy a relaxing bonding time together!
13. Give your puppy a massage or holistic spa treatment.
14. Get your puppy some leash training lessons.
15. Buy your puppy a cute new outfit or fashionable collar and leash.
16. Have a tee shirt made with your puppy's photo on it.
17. Take your puppy to the beach. Read our safety tips!
18. Puppy-proof your home and backyard, including the pool area with a "puppy safe" inspection.
19. Revamp your puppy's toy basket with new, clean toys and get rid of the old, bacteria infested ones!
20. Install a car safety harness to keep your puppy safe during travels.
21. Pamper your puppy in pure luxury by purchasing new grooming products.
22. Buy your puppy a comfy new bed.
23. Take your puppy on a pet-friendly outing this week-end!
Check our Events section for the latest in your State.
24. Make sure that your garden is puppy safe from toxic plants and materials.
25. Buy a puppy gate to keep your puppy out of hazardous areas of the home.
26. Buy a pet first aid kit and keep it in your car in case of injury while away from home. Why not consider attending a Pet First Aid/CPR course? This could save your pooch’s life!
27. Microchip and I.D. Tag your puppy and ensure their details are up to date on a national register so that a vet or shelter can locate you immediately if he gets lost.
28. Make sure your puppy is up to date on vaccination and has regular health and wellness checks.
29. Pledge to feed your puppy only all natural food and treats.
30. Teach your children and their friends to be kind to all dogs by never pulling on their ears or tail.
31. Pledge to walk your puppy every day for better health and behaviour management.
32. Teach your puppy some fun tricks.
34. If you like your puppy to snuggle in bed with you, buy him some puppy steps to make it easy for him to join you.
35. Buy your puppy a designer crate that fits with your interior décor style.
36. Make your home pet friendly by creating a safe zone and choosing pet friendly fabrics that hold up to your puppy's wear and tear.
37. Install a fence around your unfenced yard so your puppy can run and enjoy some freedom at home. It is also essential to keep this area locked to prevent your puppy from being stolen.
38. Pledge to never tie your puppy to a tree or post and leave them alone. Always include your puppy in your family by letting them live inside the home with you.
39. Carpet any stairs you may have to reduce risk of injury to your puppy by slipping and falling.
40. And last but not least - pledge to never yell at or hit your puppy...to be patient and kind and give your puppy lots of love and praise every day.
Of course we can't do all of these things at once but if all of us just picked one today, what a great day it would be for our dogs, regardless of their age?